Saturday, September 17, 2011

What I would look for in an applicant to higher education and medical studies

I have not yet been in an interviewers position in allocating a students term to a student nor have I been in the interview process as a major contributor in a program of higher education in residency level or above.
That said, I think I have some indication of what to look for in the applicants that I may interview should I have this role in the future.
There are 5 major criteria I see that go into an application to higher education.
Achievement-  Test Scores and Grades and the like.
Abatement-  The process that a person chooses to undertake to achieve a higher level of learning or understanding or insight at an earlier age or point in their educational process.  For me in high school when I was an applicant to my 6 year medical study program, I was involved as a pharmacy technician as well I took 6 or more AP college credit level courses in high school.  This indicates that the person you are interviewing will go beyond the level of classwork to attain further understanding ahead of the curriculum he may be involved in as a student.   I grade this highly as it shows that you are not about to wait for things to be given to you on a silver platter and you are willing to strive for interest and insight at a younger and earlier time in your studies.   When I was in college, my abatement was a higher number of credit hours at a given time sometimes going up to 25 quarter hours in a quarter, the average being 12-16.
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
and Conduct-  as measured most likely in the interview on replies to answers, body language and voice inflection and tone.


Notice that the criteria of "personality" is not included.  I do not believe that personality can be a qualification for or against a candidate.  We are all born with a personality and it is a clear belief of mine that our Personality is G-d given.  That means no one should have a personality that conflicts with achievement and learning in life.  The concern of course might be if someone has a personality disorder as measured by psychological assessment.  That may be, but I feel that most cases it is unlikely that one might identify this in an interview and to really be quite truthful, it would be the conduct that would indicate whether someone is right or wrong for a chair or position in a program or academy.

No comments:

Post a Comment