Thursday, March 31, 2011

Speed of thought. Is is pathological or is it triumphantly useful to our day?

There is a psychiatric symptom of "racing thoughts".  I must admit that some children and even adults are capable of speedy fast patterns of thinking, especially under times of duress.  I myself was just in my bedroom and thinking through a particular problem and experience I have recently chosen to undertake and I must say admittedly that my thoughts were going quite fast in fact.  But that said.  They were fast.  They were not "Racing".  This is quite a sticky subject because racing thoughts are a pathological symptom that must be addressed and prevented.  To consider that your thoughts are coming and going and that you have nothing to grasp ahold of and move with your thoughts will render your mind haphazardly cluttered, troubled, broken and unsuccessful.  When my own thoughts are moving fast, I often must think that each one is meant to bring me to the next step up a ladder that I may in fact be climbing in my own mind.  I must report that this is a situation that I only encounter when I may have indeed had to do something that may cause someone elses memory or experience to be unhappy for a moment or so in my attempts to modify or change a trouble that was in the life of our relationship in the past.  This is my method of bringing my own person to justice per se by correcting the wrong that may have been committed in the past.  But that said, it is not a thought or conversational or personal crime to allow for correction of a previous activity in the minds of another. 
So there you go.  An account of what its like to have fast moving thought processes.  Its never an experience that I endure for more than a few moments, but that said, I must say that to the unlearned and unsophisticated zealot of the psychiatry banter and diagnostic acumen, one may clearly be confused as racing thoughts when they were simply moving fast. 
I hope that this does in fact seem to make a reasonable amount of sense to one who may read it.  I know that if I was in practice evaluating someone with a fast moving sense of ideas or conversation, I might have certainly considered the idea of flight of ideas or racing thought processes.  I would be respectfully correct to make a note of such a symptomatology, but lets be honest here.  Not all thoughts that are quick and forceful in our lives are truly a symptom.  And being a physician who had chosen to enter a high activity field such as surgery in the past, I can tell you that our brains move fast at times and that our thoughts and conversation can indeed be forceful and driving.  It has been my personal experience that when dealing with persons in other less moment to moment actively challenging fields in medicine and other that when I speak with them and voice my feelings, thoughts and concerns that many are lack to keep up or to keep hold of the moving dialogue.  This is a tragedy perhaps.  But who can consider that every living being is verbally and mentally as apt and fit as the other.  Its just a fact of life and if I ever may be difficult to converse with in a heated or emotionally concerned discussion, you can bet that its because I view myself at times to be a quick and fast minded thinker of the ability to deal with the crisis or challenge to be presented each moment that such said trouble may be present.  So thanks for your consideration.  Best mental health, healing and thought processes to all in life.  Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment