Monday, January 3, 2011

General Surgery

I graduated medical school with a firm commitment to pursuing a career in General Surgery.  It took me some time to confirm this was my life interest.   I had a strong rotation in General Surgery for 10 weeks, my 2nd clinical rotation.  I was certain that was my aim and was planning that to be my interest even before the rotation.  I did a pathology rotation the previous summer and was curious at all times as to the work and progress made in the operating theatre.  Even as a first year, I felt my inclinations were surgical due to a great enthusiasm for gross anatomy.   I was honored with Honors for both my Anatomy terms. 
The only other field I had considered prior to that was the field of Oncology which was an interest mostly prior to medical school.   General surgery was fast paced and offered me an opportunity to really see conditions and treatments in the front row of our daily practice and activities.   I was honored with many visits to the operating room during my rotation and I took the most vigorous route during this short time period doing rotations in cardiovascular surgery as well as urology.   There was even a good amount of vascular experience.   I was hooked.   I taylored my interests the following year as to what I thought would make me a stonger surgeon...  cardiology, emergency medicine, surgical intensive care.

No comments:

Post a Comment